Small Bodies Cross-Identification Utility
Updating to New Version!
Note this version of the Cross-ID Utility is no longer working. We are in the process of porting and upgrading the code and expect to have the new version ready in late June.
Last cross-ID update: 01 April 2011
The cross-IDs incorporated into the database come from the following sources:
- Asteroid number and discovery designation correspondences come from Ted Bowell's asteroid cross-ID database, which he maintains privately and graciously makes available with regular updates every 2-3 months.
- Asteroid names come from the Minor Planet Center's Minor Planet Names: Alphabetical List page.
- Comet names, numbers and discovery designations come from a database of information extracted from IAU Circulars, Minor Planet Electronic Circulars and IAU Central Bureau Electronic Telegrams, maintained by Mike A'Hearn's comet group at the University of Maryland.
- Planet, dwarf planet and natural satellite names and permanent designations come from the USGS Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature Planet and Satellite Names and Discoverers page.
- Discovery designations for natural satellites come from a private database maintained by Mike A'Hearn, culled from information found in the IAU Circulars and Minor Planet Electronic Circulars.
- Meteorite names are those from the Gaffey Meteorite Spectra data set, which is included in the PDS/SBN holdings. Note that this source is far from complete for meteorite names. If you are specifically looking for meteorite names, a more complete Meteorite Name Checking Utility is maintained by the Meteoritical Society.
The contributions from all these sources are invaluable and much appreciated.